Celebrating 125 years of opportunity and excellence
Many visitors are surprised to find beautiful, historic buildings and an abundance of green space on a city campus. Here is a collection of the facilities and gathering spaces that have made UNCG stand out over the past 125 years.
Aerial Tour of Campus
See campus from a new perspective with this drone video tour.
Get a sense of what life is like on campus with this photo collection.
Take a trip to the 1970s in this UNCG promotional video.
“UNC-G Is a Place” Video
Students discuss their experiences on campus in this ’70s video.
Woman’s College Video
What did the WC look like in the ’50s? Find out in this video.
Then & Now
The historic Quad buildings were built in the 1920s and underwent an extensive renovation in 2011–12.
The power plant opened in 1924 and was the highest structure in Greensboro at the time.
Named after former N.C. Governor Charles B. Aycock, who held controversial views regarding race, the facility was renamed UNCG Auditorium in 2016.
A popular site for meetings and special events, the facility opened in 1937 and was renovated in 2008.
Designed in the early 20th century, College Avenue was converted to a pedestrian mall in 2004.
Yum Yum Better Ice Cream
The original “Yum Yums” was located at the corner of Spring Garden and Forest streets. It moved to its current location in the ’70s.
Elliott Hall/University Center
Elliott Hall (now known as Elliott University Center) opened in 1953 and was named after former Dean of Women Harriet Elliott.
Foust was originally called Main Building when it opened in 1892. It was named after former President Julius I. Foust in 1960. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The first Curry Building was destroyed by fire in 1926. The current facility opened that same year and was used as a training school until 1970.
Home Management House
Built in the 1920s, this house served as a laboratory for students in the Home Economics program. Seniors majoring in Home Economics were required to live in the house for six weeks.
Home Economics/Stone Building
Formerly known as the Home Economics Building, in 1956 the facility was named in honor of Mary Frances Stone ’47.
The original facility, Brown Building, is located on Tate Street. The new Music Building opened in 1999, featuring a variety of practice and performance spaces, a unified music library, and electronic music studios.
Petty Science Building
This building opened in 1940 and is named after former head of the Chemistry Department Mary Macy Petty.
Named in honor of former chancellor James Sharbrough Ferguson, this building opened in 1983.
The original building opened in 1950, replacing Carnegie Library. The library tower opened in 1973. Jackson Library is named after former chancellor Walter Clinton Jackson.
Gove Infirmary/Student Health Center
Named for longtime campus physician Anna Marie Gove, the infirmary opened in 1953. Now known as the Gove Student Health Center, it underwent major renovations in 2006.
Named for former faculty member William Raymond Taylor, the facility opened on Tate Street in 1967.
The home of UNCG’s School of Nursing opened in 1969. It’s named for Margaret Catherine Moore ’35, who was one of the first ten School of Nursing faculty.
Built in 1970, the facility is named for Frank Porter Graham, former president of the Consolidated University of North Carolina.
Named for Franklin Holbrook McNutt, former dean of the Graduate School, this building opened in 1971.
Gatewood Studio Arts Building
Named for nationally known artist Maud Florence Gatewood ’54, the home of the School of Art and the Interior Architecture Department opened in 2006.
Moore Humanities & Research Administration Building
The facility opened in 2006 and is named for Beverly Cooper Moore and Irene Mitchell Moore. It houses a variety of academic departments and research offices.
Smith Associated Campus Ministries Center
The facility opened in 1994 and is named in honor of Mabel D. Smith. The ACM Center offers a supportive space for students of all faiths to gather.
Soda Shop/Faculty Center
Built in 1948, this soda fountain and snack bar was a popular place for students to take a break between classes. In 1963, it was converted to the Faculty Center.
Health & Human Performance Building/Coleman Building
This large facility opened in 1989. In 2014, it was renamed the Mary Channing Coleman Building to honor the first director of the physical education program at Woman’s College.
Named for Mary Channing Coleman, this gym opened in 1952.
This gym opened in 1925 and is named in honor of Jonathan “Joe” Rosenthal.
Brick Dormitory, Kirkland Dormitory, and Woman’s Dormitory housed students in the early years. Brick was lost to fire in 1904, and Kirkland and Woman’s were torn down in 1964.
Quad Residence Halls
Built in the 1920s, the seven Quad halls — Bailey, Coit, Cotten, Gray, Hinshaw, Jamison, and Shaw — underwent a major renovation in 2012.
College Avenue Residence Halls
Guilford, Mary Foust, and Spencer are all located on College Avenue. Spencer is a very long, two-story hall built in fireproof sections after Brick Dormitory was lost to a fire.
High-Rise Residence Halls
Cone, Grogan, and Reynolds are all high-rise residence halls overlooking Peabody Park. Cone is a nine-story hall built in 1967. Grogan and Reynolds were built in 1963 and stand eight stories tall.
Gray Drive Residence Halls
Moore-Strong, Phillips-Hawkins, Ragsdale-Mendenhall, and Weil-Winfield are all located in the Gray Drive area of campus. Each hall has two names — one refers to the left side, and the other to the right.
UNCG’s newest housing complex offers single bedrooms in two- and four-bedroom apartments. The complex is adjacent to Gate City Boulevard, near the Kaplan Wellness Center.
Spring Garden Residence Halls
Tower Village, Spring Garden Apartments, and Jefferson Suites offer apartment and suite-style housing options on the southwest side of campus.
Taylor Garden & Elliott University Center Terrace
This garden, located behind the EUC, is named after former Dean of Students Katherine Taylor. The terrace opened in 1953 and is a popular place to relax between classes.
Named in honor of George Peabody, this campus park was established in 1901 as an educational space. Students and faculty study the many species of plant and animal life located there.
There was a lake on campus from 1941–1954 in the area that is now a golf course. Today’s students travel to Piney Lake, just eight miles from campus, for canoeing and other activities.
Moran Commons & Plaza
Formerly known as Fountain Plaza, the Moran Commons and Plaza is named after former Chancellor William E. Moran.
Formerly known as Front Campus, Foust Park is a large, inviting green space. It stands in front of the historic Foust Building.
Located on McIver Street, UNCG Gardens offers a space where students, faculty, and staff learn to grow and maintain their own organic garden plots.
Located on the south side of UNCG’s Music Building, this quiet, picturesque garden was donated by Dr. William Herring as a living memorial to his wife.
West Dining Hall
West Dining Hall was a wing of the dining complex, which also included the Spencer, South, and North dining halls. West was built in 1921.
North Dining Hall
As the part of the main dining complex on campus, North Dining Hall was built in 1939.
Formerly known as South Dining Hall, the State Room Dining Hall was renovated in the 1970s.
After a major renovation of the dining complex in the late ’80s, a post office was added to the Atrium.
What’s on the Menu?
This 1949 photo shows students lining up for food in a campus dining hall.
Weatherspoon Art Museum
Named for Anne Wortham Cone ’35 and Benjamin Cone, Sr., the home of the Weatherspoon Art Museum opened in 1989.